- 1947Born in Manchester
- 1967 - 71 Studied Fine Art at St Martin`s School of Art, London.
- 1971 - 82 Self employed artist living in Thetford, Norfolk.
- 1982 - Self employed artist living in Blencarn, Nr Penrith, Cumbria.
- 2017 'Clearing' - Four Series of Paintings: 'Clearing', 'Vigil', 'Collateral' and 'Incident' plus 'A Search for the Man in the Street' - Upfront, Cumbria
- 2017Alan Stones Lithographs - Gallery 45, Felton, Morpeth, Northumberland
- 2014 'Nature...and Man' Severn Studio, Brantwood, Cumbria
- 2012 - present day 'Alan Stones - Lithographs' - Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership, Redhills, Penrith, Cumbria and also at The North Lakes Hotel, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2001 One-man exhibition - Leipzig, Germany
One-man exhibition - 'Great Expectations' at Borsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels e V., Leipzip
- 2000 - 2006Alan Stones - A large and changing exhibition of Alan's paintings, drawings and lithographs at Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2000 Thorn - Gateshead Central Library
- 1999 "Alan Stones - Paintings, Drawing and Prints", Penrith Museum, Cumbria
- 1997 - 1998 a changing exhibition of works on paper - Lakeland Bird of Prey Centre, Lowther, Penrith, Cumbria
- 1996 Looking out from Within - Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, Carlisle, Cumbria
- 1996 Hartlepool Art Gallery
- 1995 Leeds General Infirmary
"Drawing on the Falklands" - One-man exhibition, Blencarn, Cumbria.
One-man touring exhibition, Falkland Islands
- 1994Open Studio / House, Blencarn, Cumbria.
Oddfellows Gallery, Kendal, Cumbria.
- 1987 - 2012 Open studio every Wednesday afternoon, Blencarn, Cumbria.
- 1986 - 87 "Fell Farm Labour" - Carlisle Museum & Art Gallery and touring to Imperial College London, The Manor House Illkley, Hawick Museum and The Scott Gallery, University Library Gallery Sheffield, Maclaurin Art Gallery Ayr, Scottish Highlands Region: Iona Gallery Kingussie, Swanson Gallery Thurso, St Fergus Gallery Wick, Syrish Trust Gallery Evinton.
- 1985 - 86 "Work, Land and Livestock" - Lady Lodge Arts Centre, Peterborough and touring to The Minories, Colchester and The Harris, Preston.
- 1985 Dove Cottage, Grasmere, Cumbria
- 1985 Open Studio - Ten days at Blencarn
- 1985Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery.
- 1985Oldham Art Gallery.
- 1985 Abbot Hall, Kendal, Cumbria.
- 1984 Wetheriggs Pottery, Penrith, Cumbria
- 1978 Alan Stones at Premises, Norwich
- 1978 Fermoy Gallery, King's Lynn
- 1978 St Cuthbert's Church Hall, Thetford, Norfolk
- 1975 Alan Stones with Eastern Arts Association Collection, Thetford, Norfolk
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 2017 - 2018 New Light Art Prize, The Bowes Museum County Durham, Huddersfield Art Gallery and Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery Carlisle
- 2017 - 2018The Great Print Exhibition, Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2017C-Art Cumbrian Artist of the Year, Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2016The Great Print Exhibition, Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2016C-Art Cumbrian Artist of the Year, Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2015 - 2016 New Light Art Prize,The Bowes Museum, County Durham, The Mercer Gallery, Harrogate and Panter and Hall, London
- 2015The Great Print Exhibition, Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2015Winter Exhibition, Gavagan Art, Settle, N. Yorkshire
- 2015 C-Art Cumbrian Artist of the Year, Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2015A Day in the Life, Castlegate House Gallery, Cockermouth, Cumbria
- 2014 & 2015Printfest, Ulverston, Cumbria
- 2013Alan Stones and Rebecca Payn at Castlegate House Gallery, Cockermouth, Cumbria
- 2013Alan Stones and Rebecca Payn at Bellwood and Wright, Lancaster, Lancashire
- 2013Threadneedle Prize - Mall Galleries, London
What is Drawing? - The Customs House, South Shields, Tyne and Wear
C-Art @ Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2012 C-Art at Tullie - Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, Carlisle, Cumbria
'Connections & Differences (ii) - Alan Stones and Rebecca Payn at The Brewery, Cumbria
'Das Kleine Format 2012, Diessen, Bavaria, Germany
- 2011 Ruth Borchard Self-Portrait Competition, Kings Place Gallery, London
'Bite: Artists Making Prints', Mall Galleries, London
Wrexham Print International
'Twelve' - Artists from Cumbria, The Gallery at Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2008 Jerwood Drawing Prize 2008 - The Jerwood Space, London and touring
‘Outside the Glass – Perspectives on the poet Norman Nicholson’ - Theatre by the Lake, Keswick, Cumbria and touring
- 2008 Originals 08 - Contemporary Printmaking, Mall Galleries, London - prizewinner
- 2008 Connections and Differences, Alan Stones at Farfield Mill, Sedburgh, Cumbria
- 2008 Because, Because I Do, I Do - University of Cumbria, Ambleside
- 2007 ‘Stone - Plate - Grease - Water International Contemporary Lithography’ - Museum of Modern Art for Wales in Machynlleth and touring
- 2007 - 2015 Lake Artists Winter Exhibition - Rheged, Penrith, Cumbria
- 2006 ‘Herm’ - A Cumbria Institute Of the Arts exhibition touring South Africa
‘Originals 06 - Contemporary Printmaking’ - Mall Galleries, London
- 2005 - 2006 Daffodils - Brantwood and Keswick, Cumbria and touring to South Africa
- 2003 Jerwood Drawing Prize 2003 - The Jerwood Space, London and touring
- 2002 ‘Love, Labour and Loss' - Carlisle Museum and Art Gallery and the Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter
- 2001Printfest, Ulverston, Cumbria
- 1999 - present Lake Artists Society Summer Exhibition, Grasmere, Cumbria
- 1999 - 2000 Cheltenham Open Drawing and touring to Brussels and Hull Group printmaking exhibitions in Britain, Finland and Japan
- 1998 - 1999 Cheltenham Open Drawing touring to Berlin and Hull - commendation
- 1999The Contemporary Print Fair, Atlantis Gallery, Brick Lane, London
- 1998 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition ('Forest')
Drawings - Clayton Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 1997 - 1998 Northern Lights - Shaddon Mill, Carlisle and Euston Station
- 1997 Printmakers Council National Open, Whiteleys, London, W2
Graffik `97 - Scunthorpe Museum and Art Gallery
- 1997 - 98 Robert Horne Printmaking - Carlisle Art Gallery and touring
- 1996 "Real Differences" - with Julian Cooper and Andrew Ratcliffe, Carlisle Museum and Art Gallery
- 1993 "Eden" and 50 associated studies - Penrith Library, Cumbria.
- 1987 - 88 "The Self Portrait - A Modern View" - Artsite, Bath and touring.
- 1987 "Northern Prints" - Edinburgh Festival, Edinburgh College of Art.
- 1986 "Tradition and Innovation in Printmaking Today" - Milton Keynes & touring
- 1985 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition
- 1983 - 84 "Artist in Industry" - Mappin Art Gallery, Sheffield and Touring.
- 1982 Six East Anglian Artists - Kettles Yard, Cambridge.
- 1979 - 81 2nd and 3rd Tolly Cobbold/Eastern Arts National Exhibitions.
- 1978 Ellingham Mill, Norfolk
- 2017Finalist - Cumbria Visual Artist of the Year, Cumbria Life Culture Awards
- 2015Finalist - Cumbria Visual Artist of the Year, Cumbria Life Culture Awards
- 2015C-Art Cumbrian Artist of the Year - short-listed and Winner of The People's Choice Award
- 2015Upfront Open Exhibition, Unthank, Cumbria - 1st Prize
- 2008'Originals' Contemporary Printmaking, Mall Galleries, London
- 2000European Union/Northern Arts Cultural Business Venture Award
- 1998First Hartlebury Award, Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal, Cumbria
- 1997Eden Arts Bursary
- 1996Printmaking Residency - Lowick House Print Workshop
- 1988 Northern Arts Loan
- 1987 Northern Arts Travel Award
- 1986 Northern Arts
- 1984 Gulbenkian Foundation Printmakers Award
- 1984 Artist in Industry Fellowship - Cooplands Bakery/Yorkshire Arts Association
- 1979 Eastern Arts Association Major Award
- 1976 & 78 Eastern Arts Association
Catalogues and Other Published Work:
- 2016 - present alanstones.co.uk - 2nd web-site
- 2016 The Jackdaw (Jan/Feb issue)
- 2012 C-Art at Tullie - Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, Carlisle, Cumbria
- 2008 Jerwood Drawing Prize
- 2006 'England's Landscape - The North West' pub. English Heritage
- 2005 'Daffodils' - Cumbria Institute of the Arts
- 2004 The Lake Artists Society - A Centenary Publication -pub. The Lake Artists Society
- 2003 Jerwood Drawing Prize
- 2002 'Love, Labour and Loss' Carlisle City Art Gallery and Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter
- 2000 Northern Print at Negoya, Japan
- 1999 Cheltenham Open Drawing Exhibition
- 1998 Cheltenham Open Drawing Exhibition
- 1998 - 2016alanstones.co.uk - 1st web-site
- 1997 "Alan Stones, Lithographs III" pub. Alan Stones.
- 1996 "Real Differences - Looking Out from Within' pub. Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, Carlisle
- 1995 "Art in the Garden" pub. Oddfellows Gallery, Kendal
- 1993 "Eden" by James Hamilton pub. Alan Stones
- 1992 "Alan Stones, Lithographs II" pub. Alan Stones
- 1989 'Two Hundred Years of British Livestock Farming' - pub. The British Museum
- 1988 The Science Museum - Industry-Science-Society-Museum
- 1987 "The Self Portrait - A Modern View", pub. Artsite, Bath.
- 1987 'Voices of Cumbria' - pub. Westmorland Gazette, Cumbria
- 1986 Alan Stones Lithographs (i) - pub. Alan Stones
- 1986 "Fell Farm Labour" James Hamilton, pub. Carlisle Museum and Art Gallery.
- 1984 "Artist in Industry" pub. Sheffield City Art Galleries / YAA AWARDS
Selected Bibliography: Reviews, Interviews and Essays
- Oct 2017 Mary Ingham, Cumbria Life - Power of the Imagination
- 24.10.2017 Cumberland and Westmorland Herald
- Jan 2012 Sue Allen, Cumbria Life - 'Together and Apart'
- 1996 Janni Howker - catalogue essay for 'Looking out from Within - Tullie House
- 1996 James Hamilton - catalogue essay for 'Looking out from Within' - Tullie House
- 29 June 1995 BBC North - An Artist in the Falklands
- 5 May 1995 Border TV - at the Studio - Drawing on the Falklands
- Jan/Feb 1993 Mandy McAteer, Cumbria Life - 'Eden'
- Jan 1993 BBC North - 'Eden'
- Jan 1993 Border TV - 'Eden'
- 1993 James Hamilton 'Eden - exhibition essay
- Feb. 1990 David Leach, Northern Business
- 10 - 11th Jan 1988 Richard Cork, The Listener - 'The Self Portrait - A Modern View'
- Summer 1986 Roger Wollen, Art Line - Fell Farm Labour
- 1986 James Hamilton - catalogue essay for 'Fell Farm Labour'
- June 1985 Border TV - Open Studio Exhibition
- March 1984 Yorkshire TV - Artist in Industry
- April 27 1979 Marina Vaizey - Arts Review - 2nd Tolly Cobbold Exhibition
Major Commissions include:
Falkland Islands Government, The National Science Museum, Portsmouth Central Library, IBM UK Ltd., Viscount Devonport, Copeland Borough Council, Count Fritz Von der Schulenburg, Penrith Library (Eden D.C.), DistaProducts Ltd., Lord and Lady Inglewood, Mr William Irving, The Hon.Christopher and Margaret Vane, Culgaith Parish Council (Kirkland Church), Mr and Mrs Sean Dexter
Public and Corporate Collections
The University of Wales, Bedfordshire Education Authority, Sheffield City Art Galleries, Derbyshire Museum Service,Carlisle Museum and Art Gallery, Haworth Art Gallery - Accrington, Drumcroon Wigan EducationArt Centre, Bolton Museum and Art Gallery, University of Central Lancashire, GulbenkianFoundation, Fife Regional Council Education Comm., Sheffield University Fine Art Society,Wakefield Art Gallery, Northern Arts, Sealink, Cooplands (Doncaster) Ltd., Imperial College ofScience and Technology, Bradford Industrial Museum, The Doncaster Scheme, Fylde ArtsAssociation, Grundy Art Gallery - Blackpool, The Leicestershire Collection, Isle of Wight HealthAuthority, The Contemporary Art Society, Rank Xerox, Peterborough Museum and Art Gallery,Northamptonshire College of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture, Tyne and Wear Museums,Northern Rock Building Soc., Ashington Hospital, Darlington Museum, Northumberland CountyCouncil, Cumbria College of Agriculture, Bury Art Gallery, Liverpool University, Portsmouth City Council, Derbyshire Museum Service, Arts Council North,University of Aberystwyth, Paintings in Hospitals, Nature in Art.